Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Yes, Mr. President. I Accept Your Challenge.

I work at a place that has a relationship to the Federal Government, thus I often get Federal Government-wide email alerts. And yesterday, a totally dorky email alert came through... but I decided to click anyway. And I'm glad I did.

I have now signed up for the President's Challenge program, which encourages all Americans to adopt more active lifestyles and become healthier through exercise. Take that, Arnold Schwarzzenegger! Obama got me to do what you never could in the 80's. :-)

I've actually been looking for some kind of challenge program to motivate me to start exercising, and so far I have to say I'm enjoying this one. The goal is to have 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, for at least 6 out of the next 8 weeks. If I do so, I'll get a certificate. Oh, yes! I'm motivated by rewards, I have no shame in admitting. The web site is pretty fun, as you log in your activity and then actually get stars (red ones, not gold, alas) for completing your days of exercise. This is a program that clearly knows how to motivate slugs like me. I will do it for points and recognition, more so than just because "it's good for me." So here's hoping it works!

If anyone else joins and wants to create a "group" with me, where we can motivate each other and compare progress, just let me know. Let's be dorky together!

3 comments:

Laura P said...

count me in!! I love being dorky, especially in the name of health and self-improvement...
LP :o)

DC Food Blog said...

I'm so in. Actually I like reinforcement of what I'm already doing.

DC Food Blog said...

My username is lifestyle2