Thursday, May 21, 2009

Moose-ka-ka

I finally got the chance to make the Weight Watchers "Easy Moussaka" recipe this week. It was tasty, and a really nice variation on the usual "spaghetti and meat sauce" idea.

I can't find the recipe up on their web site, and I got out it of a cookbook...not sure on what the etiquette of reposting is, so I'll just relay the basics. Ground lamb, browned in onions and garlic that were sauteed in a little cooking spray. Add 3 tbsp low-salt tomato paste, 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, oregano, black pepper, and cinnamon. Serve it all over pasta with a bit of shredded parmesan cheese. Starting with 1 lb of ground lamb yields 6 servings (or 2, if you were super-hungry like me.)

YUM. Cinnamon and meat? Somehow, amazing.

On my Dad's advice, I have started using Dreamfields low-carb pasta as a way to change it up from my usual whole wheat pasta. I like wwp, don't get me wrong, but these Dreamfields stuff tastes good!

I really enjoyed this moussaka, and I think it would be equally as good served over roasted sweet potatoes and pumpkin as it is over pasta. Afghan Grill, one of my fave restaurants, serves a dish like that made with ground beef, and it is DIVINE.

4 comments:

Onyah said...

I am a little puzzled as to why WW would elect to call this recipe moussaka, when it contains no eggplant! I'll betcha you could take that meat-sauce, layer it between some eggplant slices, and get something way tasty, but lower in points. Now, substituting something healthy for the bechamel... probably not possible!

Stef said...

Yeah, I think it's cuz of the lamb and spices - it had a moussaka flavor, but no eggplant. Now, I'm not a big fan of eggplant, so that's okay with me. But I will definitely try it over sweet potato sometime to see how that works out.

DC Food Blog said...

I'm going to trust you Dad because he's a doctor but Dreamfields for real? Knowing that you've actually taste it and it doesn't taste like crap is a big plus but it really does sound too good to be true.

Stef said...

I have indeed tasted it and it tastes just like regular old pasta that we all grew up eating before we were told it was bad for us. :-) I have come to really like whole wheat pasta, so I don't think I'll switch permanently - but it's a nice option to have. Now, I have no idea as to how it rates on all those low-carb stats, but it does taste good.