Tuesday, May 12, 2009

So that President's Challenge Thing

Dear President Obama:

Good on you and Michelle for literally walking the walk (and by the looks of it hitting the weights) and encouraging the nation to become more active. One thing though, are you effing serious about your goals? In order for me to get a Bronze medal, I have to accumulate 20,000 points. A 5 mile run at a nine-minute/mile pace will get me 508 points. Are you effing kidding me? So here's what my regular work out routine will get me:

Monday: 5 mile run - 508
Tuesday: Strength training - 65
Wednesday: 5 mile run - 508
Thursday - Strength training - 65
Friday - rest
Saturday - 7 mile run - 708
Sunday - rest

Total - 1854

It's going to take me 11 weeks to get a stupid medal. I'm doing it because it's what I do but any project manager knows to break down your project into bite sized chunks with interim deliverables. JAYSUS H. Christ, whoever designed this challenge doesn't know bumpkiss about motivation.

1 comment:

Stef said...

But, if you join at the beginner's level, it's much easier and more attainable. Just 30 min a day, 5 days a week, for 6 out of 8 weeks. Even I can achieve that and get a certificate and some star stickers. And yes, I'm motivated by the same things as a 3rd grader.

Maybe Obama is setting higher expectations for people who already have higher expectations for themselves?

Word ver: uncry