Cooking Experiment #2 of this weekend...
I decided to make my own meat sauce for the first time ever.
I decided to use ground beef instead of ground turkey. I've been reading a lot on the Internets about how super-lean beef is actually better for you than lean turkey, cuz they put skin and stuff into the ground turkey.
- 1 lb lean, antibiotic-free ground beef
- 2 14 oz cans of no-salt added stewed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can of no-salt added tomato sauce
- chopped garlic (see post below about my difficulties!)
- chopped onions (frozen - LOVE!)
- black pepper
Brown the onions and then the beef in non-fat cooking spray in a non-stick pan. Drain the fat. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and sauce. Bring to a low boil then simmer for about 30 minutes. If you want, you can sorta crush the tomatoes as it cooks. Add seasonings as it simmers to taste.
YUMMMM. This made enough sauce for THREE meals this weekend. It kept really well in the fridge, too. And it's low in fat and sodium!
Checking in / On the road...
5 years ago