Monday, January 26, 2009

Spicy Goodness!

Another winner from the HungryGirl cookbook -- with a few modifications on my own. Tonight, I made a nice small pot (small, I tell myself, cuz I'm eating it ALL) of spicy tomato soup.

The recipe is super-easy, and where the cookbook called for powdered spices I used the real stuff. 5 plum tomatoes chopped, cooked down on medium with about 1/4 cup of chopped onions and three cloves of fresh garlic chopped. I cooked it down for about 7 minutes on medium heat. Then, transfer everything to a food processor or blender (it took two batches in my mini-chop-chop), and put it back in the pan. Add 2 cups of low sodium V8 and 2 tbsp of RedHot sauce and black pepper to taste. Cook until it boils, then let it cool down and serve. I'm serving it with some garlic bagel crisps and a nice big glass of shiraz. :-)

(The recipe called for onion powder and garlic powder, fyi.)

This is super tasty, and VERY low in calories. There's no fat in it that I can tell, and the only sodium comes from the V8 and the RedHot. Sure, the bagel crisps have their own issues, but you can choose whatever side/starch you want.

Yum!

No comments: