Saturday, January 24, 2009

Crazy Good

I have a new cookbook recipe that's a keeper - the turkey taco meatloaf (yes, even though I hate the word "meatloaf") from the HungryGirl cookbook.

The recipe called for 1 pound of lean ground turkey, 2 slices fat-free cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup shredded ff cheddar, 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onions, 1/2 cup salsa, and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning.

Since I somehow dropped my grocery list out of my pocket on the way to the store this morning, I ended up forgetting the taco seasoning packet. But that worked out okay, cuz that meant I got to experiment and make my own seasoning mix. Here it is -- 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp oregano, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Pretty, eh?

Here I've sauteed the peppers and onions (I chopped a fresh pepper myself -- rare because I HATE peppers but was willing to give it a chance, and I used my beloved frozen pre-chopped onions) and mixed in the corn. Next into the bowl went the pound of turkey and the seasoning mix.

After blending all the stuff together, I spread out 1/2 the mixture in the pan. The recipe then calls that you put the 2 slices of cheese in the middle. I did it, but I don't really know why it's needed. Any ideas why? Does it help to separate into layers? Anyway, then you spread out the rest and pour the salsa on top. Bake for 30 at 375, then add the shredded cheese on top and bake for another 15.

While it's not the prettiest thing on the plate, this tasted CRAZY good. Like, smack my lips, lick the pan good. And I wish this blog had smell-o-vision, cuz the aroma of that cumin and all the other spices while cooking just made me melt. I loved this, and have plenty of it save in the fridge now to eat sooner or later (I'm guessing sooner).

According to the cookbook, this makes 6 servings (but I'd probably say it's more like 3), with 127 calories per serving, 1 g fat, and 688 mg sodium (from the taco mix I didn't use?).

1 comment:

DC Food Blog said...

Wow. So kick the sodium down since you made your own mix and that's the healthiest thing EVER! i'm a huge meatloaf fan so I will try this.