Friday, February 13, 2009

To Market, To Market

I've been flipping through my DASH diet book (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) to try and get some ideas about ways to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my daily life. And, it reminded me that low-fat dairy is just as important to work in, as well. It really all seems like it should be pretty easy to do, with a little planning at the store or while ordering out.

So, with all this in mind, I just went to the Giant on my happy Friday morning off and stocked up. My weekend cooking plans include:

- pork stir fry with brown rice, made easy with a bag of frozen stir fry veggies, lower sodium teriyaki sauce, and stir fry lean pork. **Note -- this gave me the brand new experience of actually asking the butcher at the meat counter for something specific. They didn't have pork for stir fry, and I got over my complete inexperience to ask if he could prepare some for me, so I watched as he trimmed and cut a pork center loin for me. Wow! I've never seen the whole process before. Kinda cool.

- roasted new red potatoes with parmesan. I really haven't ever roasted potatoes before, and I'll be using a DASH recipe, so this should make a nice side dish with the organic chicken breasts I got. I'll do some nice herbal seasoning on those, I think.

- fruit smoothies with bananas, frozen blueberries, organic non-fat yogurt and organic non-fat milk. Yum! But I better be prepared to run the dishwasher a few times to keep up with myself. (Note: I try to buy organic dairy whenever I can, especially after watching that documentary The Corporation a few years ago. Unspeakable horror at some of what they showed re: corporate dairy production.)

- and, this is so simple and such an easy addition -- I bought cute little grape tomatoes to plop on top of my usual lettuce side salads.

So -- these will be several ways I can start adding more fruits and veggies in an easy, natural way.

Any other suggestions???

1 comment:

DC Food Blog said...

Once you master the roasted potatoes, try other roasted veggies. Carrots, parsnips, butternut squash all work and are more vegetablely.