Monday, April 27, 2009

Yummy Combination

I tried out another new recipe tonight -- this one again from the friend who gave me the Weight Watchers Cheeseburger Casserole a few weeks back. She said this one is always her biggest hit, and now I can see why!

Roasted Tomatoes with Shrimp and Feta

5 large tomatoes, cut into eighths
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
¾ tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup Feta, crumbled

Preheat oven to 450. Place tomatoes in a large backing dish. Spoon olive oil and garlic over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss. Place on top rack of oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove baking dish and stir in shrimp, parsley and lemon juice. Sprinkle with feta. Back another 10 to 15 minutes until shrimp are cooked. Serve with warm crusty bread.

This was a fairly easy recipe to make - the hardest part was dealing with the shrimp, since this was my first time using raw (from frozen) shrimp rather than just cooked outright. Note: it's a good idea to remove all the tails from the shrimp before putting them in the pan. And it's an even better idea to remove those tails while the tomatoes are roasting, rather than after. Save yourself 20 minutes!



Hello my lovelies!!! I just love the look of tomatoes on the vine. That's the reason I chose them, and they sure were tasty. Here they are with lots of EVOO and garlic:

How can you go wrong with a recipe that starts off with my three favorite things???

Here 'tis in the pan. Note: A lot of liquid shows up in the cooking process - a combo of that EVOO, the lemon juice, and just the juices from all the ingredients. I didn't have any crusty bread but I wish I did. This recipe is perfect for sopping. Instead I just licked my lips a lot. :-) Being me, of course, I also thought this would go really well over an orzo pasta or something. It tasted a lot like a scampi but without any butter, so it was lighter overall. Be aware there's a teensy bit of a fishy taste to the shrimp - if you like shrimp, you won't mind it, but if you're not a fish person just keep that in mind.


YUM!!!!! This made a lot, so I'll be eating it again tomorrow night, I do believe. :-)

4 comments:

Stef said...

Oh, I forgot to mention -- I skipped the salt. And I didn't have fresh parsley so I halved the amount for dried parsley flakes.

Stef said...

Oh yeah, and I cooked the whole thing while singing at the top of my lungs to the greatest hits of Wham! :-)

Stef's Dad said...

You could drain off half the liquid or use sun dried tomatoes in the recipe. Also for a change you could half the parsely and use basil along with 2% mozarella and serve over Dreamfields pasta which has only 5 grams of digestible carbohydrates per serving. It is the only pasta I use because it has a 65% lower glycemic index and 5 gms of fiber along with 31 grams of protected carbs so I can eat 6 ounces[3 servings] without raising blood sugar. It is the only pasta I know that is ok for diabetics and weight management! Dad

DC Food Blog said...

Trader Joe's has a nonfat feta that rocks! Thanks Stef's Dad for the pasta rec. This diabetic is greatly appreciative.