Monday, December 29, 2008

Pear cobbler for diabetics

So Christmas with the in-laws was delightful as usual. A ray of hope and a source of frustration is that my father in law seems to have controlled his diabetes so well, he pretty much eats anything now. That means the in-law fridge was set for a Texas style Christmas. Cheese and starch galore. I did great though. I had nibbles of everything and made sure I made a salad to be the bulk of my meal. So I wouldn’t feel left out of the dessert frenzy (12 kinds of cookies, two different loaves of quick breads and pie!) I made this cobbler. I calculated it to have about 20 grams of carbs for per serving (and I am talking a generous helping). It was incredible.

For filling
½ stick of butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 cups pears chopped into large chunks
1/4 cup Splenda (the kind out of the bag that is equivalent to sugar. If you are using packets, use three packets)

For topping
1 cup of almond flour (I actually found hazelnut flour at Texas’ Central Market and used half almond flour, half hazelnut flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamom
1/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup of almond milk
Accompaniment: Fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (sugar free of course)

To prepare the filling:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the butter in an 8 x 8-inch square glass baking dish (no substitutes), and melt the butter in the microwave. In a mixing bowl, combine lemon juice and the pears. Add the Splenda and mix well. Add the pear mixture to the baking dish with the melted butter. Do not stir.

Make topping:
Combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Pour this mixture over the blackberries and bake 45 minutes, or until brown. This recipe is also good for apples, blueberries, and peaches.

No comments: