Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tweaks

One of the things my nutritionist said I should work on is cutting down on the starches. This isn't Atkins, she's very clear about that, but again it's all about trying to eat the right things at the right times to improve my nutrition and overall health. And the truth is I was eating way too much starch, and that was a major factor in putting on and keeping the pounds.

I used to eat large servings of pasta-based dishes probably 3-5 times a week. And lots of bready sandwiches for lunch, with cookies and chips. Pretty much every meal I had included some starchy element.

So I've been working on this, and I've been making some real improvements. When I am eating pasta, I'm eating less of it and bulking up the sauce with more veggies or adding a side salad to fill me up.

And, I've been making a lot of meals that just don't need a carb at all. That stir fry I make with the beef and sugar snap peas? No rice needed, it's perfectly tasty and filling on its own. One of my usual old dishes - spinach sauteed in olive oil with cannellini beans all over pasta, sometimes with chicken - actually is even better as a soup made with low-sodium chicken broth, no pasta needed.

Tonight, I made a fantastic dinner - a grilled steak with DCFB's recommended sauteed asparagus as a side. In the past, I would've made a potato to go with it, or a boxed version of parmesan couscous or noodles. But the starch is totally not needed, cuz it was a satisfying meal all on its own.

It's all about trying new things, and I'm enjoying these new, less-starchy meals. So is my waistline.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with your nutritionist. Good to cut back on carbs without going all Atkins about it. A good way to think about things is that you should have about 180 grams of carbs per day. 45 per meal and 15 for two snacks. 45 grams of carbs can break down in a few ways:

45 grams = 1 cup of white pasta or rice
2 cups of cheerios
1/4 of raisins or any other dried fruit
1/2 cup of flour
3 apples
3 cups of yogurt

One plus thing about using whole wheat pasta or whole wheat flour is you subtract the fiber in those from your carb content.